Through researching technology
integration, I assumed that I would find many obvious solutions to my
research topic. I found myself going through that old phrase if you
find a closed door, there will be an open window. However, I was
finding an open door which led to three or four more open doors, and
the next open door would lead me to three or four open windows.
When looking to limit my research and focus on only one or two
questions, it seemed like I was searching four, five, even six
research questions simultaneously. The process was quite
challenging, and it was easy to get off of task and lose focus.
I
related this experience to being a high school student to some
degree, one that entered into our high school without much prior
exposure to one-to-one technology. I have access to a great
technological great device with a limitless amount of resources.
I was able to use different websites, browsers, search engines, and
even had access to interview multiple school districts. With picking
our own topic and focusing on our set of questions, the research
opportunities were limitless. I imagine that is how students
feel the first day when given the iPad. What can I do, what
games can I download, how do I avoid trouble? That was exactly
I how I felt when I was researching. I had to sit back and slow
myself down. There was a point that I realized I had more than eight
windows open on Mozilla and Internet Explorer, and a few of those
windows had two or three open windows as well.
There was one
thing that kept me focused on my task, which was far above the
research question. That focus point was what is really important,
and what does quality instruction look like? As teachers, we should
have a general idea of what best practices look like in the
classroom. If we do not know the best practices word for word,
we should be able to easily find a place the defines or lists best
practices for educators. This is a broad way of describing that
teachers must remember to incorporate scientifically researched
practices including current trends in education. Obviously,
technology integration would fall under this category.
When I reflect upon my research, the overwhelming lesson that I
took out of the research is to use technology but do not let it be
the driving force of my classroom. I have all of this great
technology at my hands every day. This allows me to be kind of lazy
when I act carelessly as a teacher. It is easy to use technology to
capture the students' interest, but I am doing it effectively? Am I
relying on technology to drive my teaching, or am I rely on my
teaching to make the incorporation of technology meaningful,
applicable, and relevant to students today?
I believe there is a delicate balance between utilizing to enhance
the education of the whole student, and over-utilizing technology as
a cop out in education. I believe as teachers, we have to look at
best practices in education and research-based teaching methods. We
then must use technology to enhance that process. For me, this is
integrating technology in the RTI process and interventions as a
whole. Making the content meaningful, activating prior knowledge,
and using data to drive technology integration is going to always
pose unique challenges. As we know, students change, practices
change, and technological capabilities will jump tremendously, but we
will always need to meet the growing needs of our students. That
will pose a unique set of challenges.
Steve,
ReplyDeleteI think at times, we get to the point with technology that we rely on it. I have heard some communication from other teachers that say what are we going to do when it the internet is down. I agree that used correctly it makes us stronger teachers, but used incorrectly, can only have a negative effect on the classroom.
Jason,
ReplyDeleteI loved your last paragraph, it is about meeting student's needs and that means that as educators we have to continually learn and grow just like our students.
One more thing-- it is difficult to know if learning has occurred if you don't start with where you want to end up!
ReplyDeleteJason, I can relate to feeling overwhelmed as well. There are so many ideas floating out there in relation to the technology research. Your connection to feeling like a high school student again made me chuckle. I feel very similar. I enjoyed your windows and doors analogy. I am going to use that in the future. Lastly, I agree with how tech is important, but not be the driving force. In some lessons I feel it can be, but overall it's a great tool in the classroom. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDelete