Tuesday, March 31, 2015

What Makes You Stand out?

We find ourselves in proverbial “Rat Race” constantly running around, searching to find the best new solutions in technology, education, and life in general. In a recent article I read, there was a very simple theme that was the centerpiece-what makes you stand out? It was a fairly simple theme to interpret, but it was an extremely applicable theme to ponder. I felt this theme really summarized some of the core concepts of Branding to me.


I have taken on a potentially lofty goal and desire for a branding application project. My goal is to work with area Catholic elementary schools to develop a brand for our special education program. It is one of the areas of our branding l that I find our school lacking in the form of technology branding. Our school has a phenomenal tradition academically, athletically, spiritually, and in the community. However, one of the continuous trends is an increase in the population of our students that receive special services. Maintaining a learning environment that is adaptable to growing needs of students and promoting a brand that is unique to our school will be the challenge to project.


One of the aspects of researching branding that I found to be the most intriguing is that schools have to find a way to make themselves standout or be unique. I consistently found myself asking, how can we do that? Schools today are not cookie cutter by any means, but schools do share consistent similarities. Sure, schools that were pilots of the Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) programs were pioneers and cutting edge a few years ago. They likely would have been able to notice a quick jump in enrollment and a boost to their brand, but did that last? Catholic schools have the religious and service background that cannot be matched in many settings. Couple the religious background with traditionally rigorous standards for education, and is that enough to stand out? How does a school truly find themselves to be unique? I believe this is an idea that will always keep me constantly wondering and thinking about what makes a school unique.


Of course I am a young teacher. This is my fourth year teaching. I have been at a few different schools, and I have taught all three levels: elementary, middle, and high school. One thing that I believe would make a school unique is a family atmosphere. I am may be off kilter by saying I do not think that a family atmosphere is found at most schools. To me, that is what makes a school unique. The whole staff buys into a collective vision and mission and tirelessly pours their heart into the school to make it better. Meanwhile, the mentality is not to solely be better, but the mentality is to achieve the best for the school, students, and surrounding community. I am not sure that I have seen this type of selfless act for a school by all faculty members. I wonder if this is just one of those utopian fallacies you dream about, but you are never really going to be able achieve. If this is only a dream, it is quite a shame that a school is unable to attain this type of atmosphere. If it is a reality, how does a leader develop this type of school community? I believe that through the branding module and finding a theme that centers around what makes you standout, I will find myself questioning, striving, and pushing myself to standout. Not just because it was in research, but because I find it necessary for all people to do to buy into a school's brand.

3 comments:

  1. Jason,
    Great reflection. I do think and know that a family atmosphere can exist in schools, but only where there is a strong leadership team that has a clear purpose and goals. Don't give up on this thinking-- it is what good leaders do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jason,
    I have had three schools out of six in my 20 years of teaching that had a family atmosphere - I think my experience has been luckier than most. Family atmosphere (among the teachers, staff, students) can start from the bottom and move up...but it is so much harder. In all three places where I felt this really existed it was because the admin. made it a priority. What was done in these schools to promote this feeling of family? One principal had a 3 day retreat with all the teachers before school started, where we worked on curriculum and team building activities. Another school has a bulletin board in the hallway with EVERY birthday on it. It became a school tradition to find the birthday person of the day and wish them well. Having 400 people wish you happy birthday is uplifting and memorable. Mostly, I think what helps is when administrators step out of the admin role and talk to you as a person, not as a teacher. A two minute conversation can go a long way. Thanks for the post, it has inspired me to compile a list of what makes me stand out. Perhaps, my ability to write long response posts... Cheers, Elizabeth Myers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jason- I agree with you that having a school culture that includes a family atmosphere is very important to the climate of the school as well as the branding. The school that I am at now is tradition laden with a family atmosphere. Two years ago we sent out a survey to parents about why they send their children to our school and I estimate that 95% of the responses included something that was related to "family". I think tradition plays a part in this as well as being in a small, rural community. We do use family atmosphere as part of our branding- throughout the school year we have multiple opportunities for students to work with other grade level students on projects, activities and service opportunities which leads to care and concern and grows a relationship with others.

    ReplyDelete