Throughout this course, we have
had exposure to multiple scenarios, topics to research, and thought
provoking questions to answer. I believe that I have taken a
reflective mindset to this class, especially since I am fortunate
enough to work in a technologically advanced school. Throughout
this class, the question I have constantly reflected on is what does
this mean to me?
One, there is more technology out there than
I ever could have imagined. More so than the amount of
technology is the rationale to use different forms of technology.
Recently, I engaged in a debate on one-to-one technology (chrome-book
versus the iPad), and it led me to a new thinking process in some
ways. I know technology is a great tool and one-to-one
technology will inevitably be a significant part of classrooms very
quickly. Many schools districts are already in the process of
incorporating one-to-one technology. Integrating technology is not a
concept of the future, but integrating technology must be a part of
education today. It is my belief that a school has the
responsibility to determine resources that will enhance all students'
educational experience and the advancement of prepared, twenty-first
century learners.
Next, even though I did not specifically
complete this module, as a teacher and aspiring administrator, I have
the responsibility to promote the ethical use of technology.
Used correctly, social networking, social media, and widely used
technology in general can enhance education much beyond when I was a
student. However, technology is much like a car for a in an
inexperienced driver. Give the keys to a car to the wrong
person, who is untrained and inexperienced, a disastrous event may
occur. We must teach students how to network properly, increase
their educational knowledge, and be responsible with technology in
order to become a generation of prepared learners.
Lastly, we must be risk takes as
teachers and future leaders (Sheninger, 2014, p.43). It is very easy
to use the technology that we have as simply a note-taking device, a
presentation tool, or fall back for a lesson. However, students will
likely find this to be unengaging and ineffective use of technology.
Many teachers, myself included earlier in the semester, find parts of
technology to be scary, specifically regarding social media. A
simple question that I have, when was the last time a student read
something, discussed it, smiled about it, and passionately shared it
multiple times in a class period during your class? This happens
frequently when students use social medial, and students are actively
connected to social media. It may be a scary part of technology, but
it does allow students to make an immediate connection with content
and increases engagement.
Just for Fun Thoughts: Personal
Growth
I had a couple of technology
hurdles that I had to cross this year. One of the areas of
technology that I was unaware to be a beneficial educational tool was
Twitter. I have used it as a head coach for wrestling and other
athletic events, but I was unaware of the tremendous benefit it would
have on my personal growth. Secondly, I do not find myself to be a
great writer, and I am very well aware that it is a weakness of mine.
Writing a weekly blog post was something that concerned me greatly.
I thought that it was something that would be an overwhelming task to
write on a website that was visible by the public. I was then hit
with a massive reality check on weekly postings. I am at 178 page
views on my blog. It is still counting, but I am sure the vast
majority of the viewers are fellow classmates. It proves two things
to me. One, the internet is much bigger than what I would imagine.
Lastly, I can write in a manner that expresses my thoughts, provide a
reflective outlet as a teacher and aspiring leader.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteJason,
ReplyDeleteI can relate all to well to your personal growth. I had the same fears and struggles when it came to the social media world. Congratulations for making it though and with great success! I also appreciated you technology comparison to a car. I think often teachers have experienced those same disasters and they fear using technology ever again. As you stated we need to make sure we educate our teachers on how to use technology we give them.
I would love to hear how the debate ended and if you are leaning more towards chrome books or IPads?
Jason-
ReplyDeleteI am curious as to how the debate ended as well. I am so glad to see that you see the value in blogging. It can be a great outlet, a place to cement your thinking, or a place to get questions answered. Keep writing!
Jason,
ReplyDeleteI like your car analogy of giving technology to someone who does not know how to use it is like giving someone keys to a car who has never driven. I have experienced giving an assignments to students without all of the instructions by accident. It was chaos and U could not understand why they were asking so many questions. It is easier when the students are prepared and understand how to accomplish a task. Thank you for your comments.
Jason, I am in the same boat as you are with the realization of the major benefits of social media in schools. This class has opened my eyes as well. I liked your analogy of the inexperienced driver in a car. So true!
ReplyDelete