Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Lights, Camera, Action

Branding provided a unique insight into educational technology and caused me to reflect deeply educational technology and how to comprehend it better. I feel that I have developed a greater awareness of steps that need to be taken to incorporate technology, challenge the status quo, and create a successful brand. The process has left a bumps on the road and maybe on my head has well from the ever infamous palm to the forehead moments.

Lights:
This is extremely metaphorical, but I feel my journey through educational technology thus far is synonymous with the phrase from Hollywood, “Lights, Camera, Action.” In all aspects of educational technology, thus far, I feel as though I see many lights simultaneously shinning light in a direction. There has been been a solution, a set of solutions, or answer to the problems I have encountered or the questions that have developed. From technology integration to branding, I have found a light that has led me to the end destination in which I am seeking, and unfortunately, led to me destinations that bring more questions. Sometimes I have to try again, go a different route, or look for a different angle, but there has always been an end product that has led to me a greater base of knowledge. For example, with the branding module, I saw the opportunity to create a real life brand for the special service department I run. However, through communication, it will change and see many changes before it is complete. I guess I know how a set of editors feel in Hollywood.


Camera:
Maybe it is my experience as a college athlete, but I embrace the opportunity to see my product on film or the finished creation. It then gives me the opportunity to correct it, change it, and do it better the next time. When recording a product, there is always the chance the end result will be less than desirable to see. It is a bit of a humbling experience to look at your product and realize that it needs to be fixed. Although the error may be a small technical flaw, it still needs to be corrected. In the branding module, I had this magnificent idea that I could work with a few fellow schools to develop a brand for special services quickly. I thought it would be a seamless creation that would work perfectly because it has not been done before by Catholic schools in our area. I neglected to remember a quote in which I used for my research paper. Taken from an article in Change, Moore (2004) cautions, “Brands do not develop value or authenticity by themselves. It can take time and a great deal of work.(p. 58)” I developed a false notion that I could do this quickly and have a great resource. However, it will take time, dedication, and persistence by all stakeholders to develop a brand that last for special services in our area Catholic schools.


Action:
Here is the part that I find the most interesting and simultaneously confusing. In order to develop a brand and successfully incorporate technology in education, it requires action. It takes a leader, co-workers, staff, and surrounding community. All stakeholders must actively work to build success. I do not believe Henry Ford developed a lasting slogan in the words of “Built Ford Tough” by words alone. It takes action, persistence, and true dedication by an entire company. This is similar to what a school has to do in order to develop a lasting, successful brand. It will not happen by one leader or one teacher alone, but it will take the entire school community to take action and commit to the success of the school. Whether that is following the school's mission and vision, adhering to the brand, or simply individual teachers maintaining high standards, it will take action from all involved parties. However, if the brand is developed too quickly, it may fall apart. One thing is a guarantee from my end, I will be ready to sit back and watch this movie when it is completed.

2 comments:

  1. Jason,
    What a great metaphor to share your experiences this week. Two critical points that you raise are first sometimes you have to go slow to go fast and it takes the entire system to buy in to branding, etc. These lessons will serve you well as you continue to lead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciated the metaphor you used in your post, Jason. Your thoughts in the "camera" section were easy for me to relate to, especially this week. Reviewing our previous work to become a bit better the next time is an invaluable practice in my eyes. It is amazing how much we can learn from our own mistakes and successes. I also enjoyed the emphasis you put on community in your section on "action." It takes a team!

    ReplyDelete